Camp Oven Chicken Wings
- 1 kg of Chicken Wings
- 1 cup of beer
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or large snap lock bag. Place in the fridge to marinate for as long as you have. An hour minimum, but it can be up to a couple of days. Quite often I marinade my chicken before leaving home and store them in the Engel ready to cook up.
- Preheat the camp oven by placing it over the fire to heat up.
- While the oven is heating, prepare a place for the camp oven to sit, to cook the wings. Place a small shovel of coals on the bottom for the camp oven to sit on. We do not want the oven to hot, as the marinade contains sugar and can burn.
- Once the oven in preheated, add the chicken wings to the bottom of the oven. I don't pour in the extra marinade as it can burn.
- Place the lid back on the oven and place 1/2 a shovel of coals on top.
- Let cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove lid, turn wings over and baste with extra marinade (not to much though)
- Place oven back on the coals, adding an extra 1/2 a shovel to the bottom if needed (if hard wood you shouldn't need to many more). Add another 1/2 shovel of fresh coals to the top of the oven.
- Let cook for further 10 minutes.
|The fire pit at the campsite|
Carefully remove the wings from the camp oven and enjoy. These wings are great for lunch or a snack, or an easy dinner. On the day we served ours with some freshly baked bread that we baked before hand (see next post), with lots of butter.
|Camp Oven Chicken Wings|