Chill Mud Crab
- 1 condensed tomato soup liquid cup of soup satchet (I had Heinz big red)
- 1 tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 of a finely diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1-2 cups of water
- mud crabs
- rice to serve
- flat bread to serve
- in a saucepan heat up the oil on a medium heat.
- fry off the onion & garlic until soft
- add the spices & fry until aromatic
- add in all the sauces, vinegar & soup mix & bring to the boil
- pour in 1 cup of water, allow to thicken & reduce down over a low heat. You might need to add more water as you go. You want the sauce thickened slightly but still runny enough to coat the crab.
- I allowed my sauce to simmer away for about half an hour & added nearly the whole 2 cups of water.
For the crab
- we cleaned the crab & broke it into pieces (the claws off & the head & leg piece in half) & then cracked the claws with pliers so the sauce could penetrate.
- heat a large pot over high heat with a little oil & fry off the crab pieces until they start to turn red.
- reduce the heat to medium & add the sauce, stir through & cover the pot & allow to cook for about 7 mins stirring occasionally.
- we served ours with packet 90 second precooked rice & homemade flat bread (I will post that recipe another time)
Enjoy!!! You will get covered in sauce & crabby goodness but so worth it.