While camped on the Murray River near Mildura,we made some bush rissoles. We cooked them over a campfire, using our new Drifta fire pit. These are like any rissoles, you can put anything you like in them, and they will turn out great. These had a very yummy camp fire smokiness about them. On this night we just served them with fresh steamed green beans and corn. They also go great with mashed potato, gravy, any other vegies, or even on some bread as a sandwich.
- 600g of beef mince
- 1/2 an onion finely diced
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of all purpose seasoning
- 2 tablespoons of BBQ sauce
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix really well. I use my hands to really get it all mixed together, you want to mix it until it starts to get sticky, this helps them stay together when you cook them.
- Form into patties, you can do big or small, I did 4 large ones.
- If you have time you can place them on a covered plate back in the fridge for 30 mins or so, this will also help them stay together when cooking.
- When you are ready to cook them, place them in a preheated pan. Cook for 12-20 mins depending on how large you make the patties. These took about 20 mins. We coooked ours over a bed of coals with just a little bit of direct flame at the start to get them going.
- Serve with your veggies and your favourite sauce.