Sunday 9 March 2014

Pantry items for the food box

As you can probably tell I love to cook. When we normally go camping we do a meal plan based on how many days we are travelling for & where our resupply points will be along the track. This time as we are travelling for a year I wanted to have a really good pantry staples box. This would allow me to have a lot of the initial cost up front before we left, have lots of variety & also reduce the amount of items we would need to buy in small towns with limited shopping & high prices. 

Below is my list of what I thought I would need. I ended up with all of this, plus some. Lucky we have a big food box!!!  But it is super heavy & I really need to cut it back!!  So we are planning to camp along the Murray River on the way down so I will reassess in those 4-5 nights & try to use up some of the bulkier items!!

Pantry items
Vegemite
Peanut butter
Plum jam
Syrup
Honey
Tomato sauce
BBQ sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Sweet chilli sauce
Soy sauce
Tobasco sauce
Coffee 
Tea 
Raw sugar
Brown sugar
Bread flour
Plain flour
Baking powder
Bi carb
Yeast
Corn flour
Icing sugar
Rice
Pasta - spaghetti & spirals
Noodles
Dried potato
Dried veggies 
Packet soup for cooking
Packet soups for lunches
Tin soup/stew
Tin veggies 
Baked beans
Tin spaghetti
Salmon
Tuna
Sardines
Anchovies
Capers
Olives
Sundried tomato
Tin pineapple
Kidney beans
Oil - spray & liquid
Salad dressing
Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Spices
Stock cubes
Curry powder
Gravy
Tomato paste
Tin tomatoes
Tin mushrooms
UHT milk
Cereal 
Powdered milk
Dried fruit
Nuts
Jerky
Muesli bars
Vita wheats 
Crackers
Wraps
Biscuits
Asian sauce mixes
Lemon squeeze
Alfoil
Cling wrap
Baking paper
Snap locks
Freezer bags
Garbage bags
Toilet paper
Juice
Toothpick 
Cordial
Foil trays
Custard powder

I didn't end up with a photo of the box fully packed as I just shut the lid when I did get it to finally close!!  Below are a couple of photos of some vacuum packing & labelling that I did. I also used Lock & Lock containers for most of my cooking ingredients. 





A tip is also to remove as much packaging as you can. A lot of things come with 2-3 layers of packaging. Getting rid of it before you put it in the food box saves space & weight but also means less rubbish to carry around & dispose of out in the bush. 




Posted by Jess on the blogger app

No comments:

Post a Comment