5 cups of bread flour
1 cup of caster sugar
1 sachet of yeast
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup of warm water
1 beaten egg
75g of melted butter
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
Canola oil for cooking
- place the water, milk & 1/4 cup of the sugar in a bowl & add the yeast & stir. Set aside for 10 mins till frothy.
- in a separate big mixing bowl place the melted butter & egg & mix.
- add in the yeast milk mixture & stir well.
- add in the salt & 4 1/2 cups of the flour, reserving 1/2 cup for flouring your work surface.
- mix with a butter knife to form a soft dough
- then using clean hands need the dough until smooth & springy, about 7-10 minutes. The dough should only just be a little sticky. Add more flour to get the right consistency.
- cover your bowl with some plastic wrap & allow dough to rise for about 30-40 mins.
- once risen knock back the dough & kneed lightly.
- cut the dough into 3 pieces & with the first roll it out on a floured work surface until it is about 2cm thick.
- cut circles from your dough & if you have a small circle cutter you can also cut out the doughnut hole in the middle. You can also carefully do this with a knife like I did. If you don't have any cutters you can just pinch off pieces to the dough & flatten them into rounds. Repeat with remaining dough.
- allow the doughnuts to rise again for about 15 mins before cooking.
- heat your oil in a frying pan to a medium temperature, we are going to shallow fry the doughnuts so you need about a 1-2cm layer of oil in the pan.
- place about 3-4 doughnuts in the hot oil, be careful not to over crowd the pan.
- cook for about 10-12 minutes, flipping sides every 2 minutes. Keep an eye on them they will easily burn.
- while they are cooking prepare a bowl with the remaining sugar & cinnamon mixed together for coating the doughnuts.
- once cooked, drain the doughnuts on paper towel & while still hot dredge in the cinnamon sugar mix
Best eaten while warm, but we had way to many for us to eat at one time & they were still pretty tasty the next day as well.